As we enter that festive time of year, we are surrounded by an abundance of food. As well as ample opportunities to indulge in said food. If you’re dieting or eating more carefully, it can be challenging. You’re faced with one of two options - breaking your diet or missing out altogether. But what about a third option? One that allows you to quite literally have your cake and eat it too?
For ketogenic dieters, we have exactly that. Keto-friendly desserts exist and we hold the key to making them just as good, if not better than the originals. Forget hunting for the best nut butter for keto, our 5 Seed Butter is the key to nailing a ketogenic diet . No nut butter needed.
Why Is The Ketogenic Diet So Popular?
Originally developed as a way to help reduce seizures in severely epileptic children, ‘going-keto’ has been linked to a host of health benefits. In addition to accelerated weight loss, it helps to lower cholesterol and blood pressure, as well as control blood sugar.
The reason behind its popularity is down to its effectiveness. Weight Loss on the ketogenic diet happens rapidly. Much quicker than traditional diets which can take years to achieve the same results and with a much more restrictive diet.
The ketogenic diet focuses on a low-carb, high-fat, moderate protein diet. This is designed to kick your body into ketosis, burning your existing fat stores. Because the diet is high-fat and focused on protein, you’re less likely to struggle with hunger pains and abandon it. It also means you are still permitted to enjoy your favourite sweet treats with just some simple tweaks to the ingredients.
Are Deserts Allowed On The Ketogenic Diet?
Yes! While added sugar is discouraged, keto-friendly sugar substitutes are plentiful. Meaning that if you have a sweet tooth, you can still enjoy delicious desserts - even your festive holiday favourites.
Substitutes for common ingredients can include:
- Using our 5 Seed Butter as an almond butter or nut butter substitute. 5 Seed Butter is a great substitute for peanut butter in baking.
- Using keto friendly sweeteners such as stevia or xylitol.
- Replacing high-carb flours with low-carb alternatives such as chia flour, almond flour, chickpea flour, coconut flour or hazelnut flour. Another great option is our new gluten-free flour substitute, Sunflower Seed Flour.
Healthy And Keto-Friendly Holiday Desserts
5 Seed Butter Blossom Cookies
A keto-spin on the perennial favourite Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies, these recipes will be a favorite to take along to any holiday gathering. Also a great option to leave out for Santa come christmas eve. This adaptation from a recipe by The Keto Queen’s supplements Almond Butter with Unsweetened 5 Seed Butter.
- 1 cup of Unsweetened 5 Seed Butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ of a teaspoon of salt
- ⅓ of a cup of keto-friendly sugar replacement such as Stevia
- 35 grams stevia sweetened dark chocolate cut into squares
- Preheat the oven to 350F; line a large baking sheet with parchment paper liner.
- Next add the almond butter to the bowl of a food processor and process until no lumps remain.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and salt, and process to combine, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Add the Swerve and process until it comes together as a ball of dough.
- Measure out 2 tablespoon-sized scoops of dough, roll each into a ball, and arrange the dough
- balls evenly on the baking sheet.
- Lightly press a piece of chocolate into the center of each ball of dough.
- Bake until the cookies are golden on the bottom and outside, about 12 minutes.
- Cool the cookies on the tray before removing and serving.
No-Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars
What would Thanksgiving be without a delicious and decadent peanut butter and chocolate dessert. Except that strictly speaking, peanut butter on keto isn’t ideal as the carbs in peanuts are quite high. Luckily we have the perfect keto-friendly peanut butter substitute with our low-carb unsweetened 5 Seed Butter. This modified recipe from Two Sleevers tastes just like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. Making them perfect as a keto-friendly Halloween treat too, especially for anyone with a peanut butter allergy.
For the base
- ¾ cup Almond Flour
- 2 oz. butter
- ¼ cup keto-friendly sweetener
- ½ a cup Unsweetened 5 Seed Butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping
- ½ a cup sugar free, dark choc-chips
- Mix all the ingredients for the bars together and spread into a small 6 inch pan
- Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave oven for 30 seconds and stir.
- Add another 10 seconds if needed to melt fully.
- Spread the topping on top of the bars.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour or two until the bars thicken up. These bars definitely improve with keeping so don't be in a huge rush to eat them.
Arguably one of the most popular holiday desserts, the Pecan Pie is a welcome addition to any holiday table. We’ve modified this recipe from PopSugar to ensure you don’t miss out this holiday season.
- 2 1/3 cups almond flour
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons ghee or grass-fed butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon erythritol
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Swerve brown sugar
- 1/3 cup erythritol
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened 5 Seed Butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/3 cups whole pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine crust ingredients in a bowl using a rubber spatula.
- Spray a 10"x11.25" pie pan with oil or butter, and press the crust using a spoon to cover all edges to the top evenly.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or just until firm. Take out, and allow to cool.
- Prepare the filling by whisking Swerve brown sugar, erythritol, butter, seed butter, heavy cream, eggs, salt, and vanilla extract in a large bowl until it has a smooth and shiny appearance.
- Add only 2 cups of pecans to the batter, and use a rubber spatula to incorporate.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust.
- Use the remaining 1/3 cup of pecans to decorate the top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, just until most of the pie is firm. The center will still be a little soft.
- Allow to cool for two to three hours, then enjoy.
Indulge Without Breaking Your Diet These Holidays
With just a few tweaks to your holiday favourites, you can immerse yourself in enjoying your favourite treats. Keto-friendly holiday deserts are easier than you imagine with Beyond The Equator. Our allergy friendly seed butters are low-carb, low-sugar and delicious! They're also packed with vitamins and minerals essential for good health. meaning you needn't compromise on taste or your health.